History of dock10

dock10 is built on the site of the former Manchester Ship Canal docks.

Construction of the Manchester Ship Canal began in November 1887, and it was dug largely by hand over the next six years. The canal was officially opened by Queen Victoria in May 1894.

Construction of dock10 began in 2007, and it was ready to go on air in January 2011. It was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, in March 2012.

Our name, dock10, comes from the site plan drawn over 100 years ago that proudly states, "SITE OF FUTURE DOCK NO. 10".

It may not be the shipping dock originally envisioned, but we are proud to call ourselves dock10.

Historical photos of Manchester Ship Canal docks

dock10
dock10 is built on the site of the former Manchester Ship Canal docks

Decorative divide
Historical map of Manchester docks 'above mode wheel'

1906
Manchester docks
'above mode wheel'

Decorative divide
Historical photo of Manchester Ship canal being dug

1887
Construction of the Manchester Ship Canal began in November 1887 and it was dug largely by hand

Decorative divide
Historical map of the Port of Manchester

1914
Port of Manchester Map

Decorative divide
Historical map of the site of future Dock No. 10

Our Name
Our name, dock10, comes from the site plan drawn over 100 years ago that proudly states, "SITE OF FUTURE DOCK NO. 10"

Decorative divide
Historical photo of Queen Victoria opening the canal

1894
The canal was officially opened by Queen Victoria in May 1894

Decorative divide
Historical map of City of Manchester

1926
Manchester Civic Week Map
made for the Manchester Guardian

Decorative divide
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before
dock10 - after
dock10 - before

2007
Construction of dock10 began in 2007

Decorative divide
Photos of dock10 being opened by Queen Elizabeth II Photos of dock10 being opened by Queen Elizabeth II

2012
The studios was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, in March 2012